FOLLOW WHAT'S ON AT MAC.ROB

School Profile

The Mac.Robertson Girls' High School is unique in its role as an academic select-entry school for girls in the state of Victoria. The selective nature of entry results in a broad socio-economic and cultural mix, as well as a strong commitment to academic excellence.

Our students and staff work collaboratively to develop transnational awareness, empathy, as well as creative and critical thinking skills to prepare for an unknown future. The school provides an educational experience that equips our students for tertiary study and leadership roles in the academic, professional and business communities for a global context, and develops interests and skills to enhance their personal lives.

Our Values

To excel in the provision of education for our students in an intellectually vibrant community.
The Mac.Robertson Girls' High School is committed to:

  • engendering a love of learning
  • achieving exceptional academic success
  • offering an education based on liberal, democratic values
  • educating the whole person
  • providing a challenging, accepting and supportive environment
  • fostering confidence, responsibility and self-discipline
  • cultivating integrity and mutual respect
  • developing effective leadership skills
  • meeting the challenges of the future while respecting the past

Our History

The Mac.Robertson Girls' High School traces its origin to the establishment of the first Victorian State Secondary School, the Melbourne Continuation School, in 1905, in the buildings of the old National Model School, Spring Street, and Melbourne. Emphasis was placed upon the educating of students to become teachers in the State system.

The school was an outstanding success and in 1912 the name was changed to Melbourne High School. From its inception the school was co-educational, but the second Principal, Mr Claude Searby, held the view that boys worked better in a single-sex environment and directed his energies towards obtaining a new school for the boys. In 1927 a new school at Forrest Hill was opened and called Melbourne Boys' High School. The girls remained in the cramped, dilapidated Spring Street building as Melbourne Girls' High School. When this building was condemned in 1930, the students were moved to Government House which had been vacated. With the appointment of a Victorian Governor in 1933 the girls moved again, this time to State School No. 1689 in King Street.

In 1934, Victoria celebrated its centenary. Sir MacPherson Robertson made a centenary gift of 100 000 pounds, 40 000 pounds of which was to be spent to provide a girls' high school. The present building was officially opened as The Mac.Robertson Girls' High School on November 7th, 1934. In 1942, during World War II, the school building was occupied as the U.S. Army Headquarters and later by the R.A.A.F. During this period students were located at Brighton Road State School, Camberwell East Girls' School and University High School. In 1987, the building, designed by Norman Seabrook (architect), was given a National Trust Classification. It was previously gazetted as a Historic Building in 1982.

In September, 1990, the school gained occupancy of the second floor of commercial premises at 7 Bowen Crescent as the result of a 10-year lease by the Ministry of Education. In 1995, the Bowen House lease was extended to include an additional six classrooms on level 3.

In 1996, the Government approved funding of $800 000 for the building of a Gymnasium and change facilities and a further $4.96m was promised in 1997 for construction of classrooms, Learning Resource Centre, Information Technology rooms, Music suite and Visual Arts Centre, VCE lounge, and Canteen. The school community pledged $2m for additional works, including a Lecture Theatre. Construction of the Lakeside buildings was completed in October 1999.

Refurbishment of the 1934 building was completed in 2001.


Timeline

  • 1905 | Began as the Melbourne Continuation School, the first Victorian State Secondary School
  • 1912 | Name change to Melbourne High School
  • 1927 | Name changed to Melbourne Girls' High when boys moved to Forrest Hil
  • 1931 | Students move from the Spring Street building to Government House
  • 1933 | Students move to State School No. 1689 in King Street
  • 1934 | Sir MacPherson Robertson makes a centenary gift of 40 000 pounds to be spent to provide a girls' high school. On November, 7 the present building officially opened as The Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
  • 1942 | School building occupied as the U.S. Army Headquarters and later by the R.A.A.F.
  • 1962 | Hall balcony constructed
  • 1972 | Senior library extended and science rooms refurbishe
  • 1987 | The school building given a National Trust Classification
  • 1990 | September, school gains lease of the second floor at 7 Bowen Crescent
  • 1996 | Government approves funding of $800 000 for the building of a gymnasium and change facilities
  • 1997 | $4.96m promised for construction of the Lakeside building and Canteen
  • 1999 | Construction of Lakeside buildings completed
  • 2001 | Refurbishment of the 1934 building completed
  • 2004 | 70th anniversary of the building
  • 2005 | Centenary Celebrations and the restarting of the Clock
  • 2013 | Celebration of the centenary of the Adelaide Exchange
  • 2014 | 80th anniversary of the building

School Archives

In the early 1980s, Monica Jacomb commenced the task of formulating an archive collection for Mac.Rob. The process of collection and recording is an ongoing task. The archive contains records and memorabilia dating from the commencement of the forerunner of Mac.Rob, the Continuation School, in 1905.

The collection contains:

  • student records from 1905 on
  • a complete collection of the school magazine 'Pallas' and an incomplete collection of the magazine 'Ours' which predates the 1927 splitting of Melbourne High School into separate girls and boys schools (the boys' school has a complete set of 'Ours')
  • a collection of photographs of school events, personalities and infrastructure
  • programs for a wide range of school activities speech nights, concerts, chorals and musicals, drama and sports
  • uniforms, original and copies, badges and trophies
  • a selection of correspondence to and from the school
  • architectural plans of changes or proposed changes over the years in Albert Park


The archives are located in two rooms, Archive 1, Level 1 at the southern end of the Kingsway building and Archive 2 on the third floor of the Kingsway building next to the hall.

The archive collection continues to grow with numerous donations from current and past staff and students and the acquisition of items during the day-to-day running of the school.

Donations are most welcome and the origin of the items is now identified for future generations. The archive office may be contacted by phoning the school, or by the email address below.

Email Archives

Student Absentee03 9864 7759

ADDRESS350-370 Kings Way,
Melbourne, 3004